Board Meeting Summaries
- Career Opportunities
- Communities Served
- Contact Us
- Council Overview
- Girl Scout History
- Girl Scout Leadership Experience
- Join GSGLA
- Media Center
- Mission & Values
- Office Locations
- Promise & Law
- Staff Directory
- Why Girl Scouts?
MARCH 2013 MEETING SUMMARY
The Board approved:
- the 9/30/2012 audited financial statements.
- the Board of Directors slate to be presented to the membership at the 2013 Annual Meeting.
- the resolution to appoint Frank Wu to serve on the Executive Committee.
- the Bylaws, written in accordance with the California Corporations Code by the volunteers and Board members making up the Bylaws Task Force, to be presented to the membership at the 2013 Annual Meeting.
JANUARY 2013 MEETING SUMMARY
The Board approved:
- the revised Investment Policy Statement.
- the creation of a Property Task Group and related sub-groups.
- the addition of GSGLA’s new CFO, Brenda Zamzow-Frazier, as an additional signatory for GSGLA bank documents.
Neil Carrey, BakerHostetler, provided an overview of good governance practices and nonprofit bylaw construction in preparation for the Annual Meeting.
GSGLA Second Vice Chair Leanne Rodgers reviewed the timeline for examination of our current Bylaws with presentation to the Board of Directors on March 6 and to the membership on April 13.
NOVEMBER 2012 MEETING SUMMARY
The Board approved formation of a Bylaws Task Group, made up of Board members, community members, GSGLA’s Chief Financial Officer Brenda Zamzow-Frazier and chaired by Board Second Vice President, Leanne Rogers. Proposed new bylaws will be presented to the membership for approval at the April 13, 2013 Annual Meeting.
Christine Jha’s resignation was announced due to her move to Texas. The Board approved Kathryn Nielsen to serve as Chief Financial Officer (volunteer) until her nomination at the 2013 Annual Meeting.
The Board approved:
- the appointment of Lynne Scarboro, Senior Vice President for Administration, Loyola Marymount University, to serve as Director-at-Large, Board of Directors until her nomination at the 2013 Annual Meeting.
- the revised Board of Directors’ Conflict of Interest form.
- the Finance Operating Reserve Policy.
SEPTEMBER 2012 MEETING SUMMARY
A balanced $16.1M operating budget and $1.4M capital budget were presented to the Board and unanimously approved.
Board Development Committee Chair Peggy Edwards presented the Retreat evaluations.
Fund Development Committee Chair Hailyn Chen presented proposals for increasing Board gifts. The Board unanimously approved a change from the current three year Board giving requirement to an annual gift from each member.
On Saturday, July 28, a one-day GSGLA Board of Directors Retreat was held at the Montrose Program Center with Board members and Board Development Committee members attending. GSUSA Sr. Vice President, Fund Development, Deb Taft attended and led several fund development discussions.
There was discussion on GSGLA’s strategic growth goal of “50 in 5”, an update on properties funding requirements, and a presentation of a draft Case Statement for the Campaign for Girls.
Gold Award recipients Satomi Honjiyo and Nicole Stiegelmar spoke to the Board group.
Peter Devereaux Principal, Harley Ellis Devereaux reviewed the Camp Lakota Dining Hall building plans.
Board members who met fundraising goals were recognized.
JULY 2012 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
An abbreviated meeting was held at which the Board received an update on the TOGETHERTHERE Luncheon, which will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012.
MAY 2012 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- The resignation of John Odetto, effective June 21, was announced.
- The nominations of Lise Luttgens and Carol Dedrich for the Los Angeles Business Journal’s Women Making a Difference Awards were announced.
- Gabrielle Bullock, Principal, Managing Director, Perkins + Will and Patricia Crider, Director of Accounting, Westfield, were elected to serve as Directors-at-Large, subject to confirmation at the 2013 Annual Meeting.
- The results of the 2012 Cookie Program were presented by Chief Administrative Officer Sylvia Rosenberger.
- Board members were encouraged to obtain sponsorships for the December TOGETHERTHERE Luncheon.
- The Board of Director’s Retreat will be held on Saturday, July 28, 2012 at the Arcadia Service Center.
MARCH 2012 SPECIAL BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- The 2012 Annual Meeting Board of Directors slate was approved in preparation for the Annual Meeting.
MARCH, 2012 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- The resignations of Lilian Coral and Denise Hsu were announced.
- A minor change is council jurisdiction to make the Orange County/Los Angeles county line the border between Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles and the Girl Scout Council of Orange County was approved.
- A motion to restrict the Needles property sale proceeds to the Camp Lakota Lodge rebuilding fund was approved.
- The Pasadena Community Foundation Resolution was approved.
- The 2010-2011 audit was approved. This audit was clean, with neither commentary nor management recommendations. The finance staff was commended.
- Director-at-Large Leanne Rodgers presented information on GSGLA’s Whistleblower and Sexual Harassment policies, and general Directors’ and Officers’ exposure.
JANUARY 2012 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- It was announced that out of the 112 councils in the nation, GSGLA is the:
- fastest growing council
- 7th in overall girl and adult membership
- 109th in market presence
- Caroline Nahas of Korn/Ferry will serve as Chair of the Women of Distinction (renamed as the TOGETHERTHERE) Luncheon.
- 2012 Visionary Awards will be presented at the Annual Meeting to Ann Neilson, Noli Caswell, Maura Brown, and Susan Ratliff for spearheading the 2012 Tournament of Roses float effort in 2008 and continuing sponsorship efforts throughout 2011.
- Chief Mission Delivery Officer Shannon Johnston and Vice President of Membership Sandy Silva provided a Mission Delivery update on membership recruitment and retention.
NOVEMBER 2011 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- An abbreviated meeting was held at the Fiesta Parade Float Barn at which the board welcomed new Directors-at-Large Felicia Gorcyca and Chet Kronenberg.
- Upon conclusion of the meeting, Board members hosted a reception and Rose Parade float unveiling for donors and other special guests.
SEPTEMBER 2011 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- Dr. Elsa Macias was elected to serve as Director-at-Large, subject to confirmation at the 2012 Annual Meeting.
- The Fiscal Year 2012 Budget was approved.
- The Capital Budget was approved.
- It was decided to terminate the leases of the long unused properties Twin Valleys and Mary Lou Salyer Nature Center, and investigate release of previously donated unimproved land in Needles, California.
- The 2010-2011 Goal Accomplishments were presented.
- The Board of Directors Committee Charges were reviewed and accepted.
BOARD RETREAT 2011
On Saturday, July 30th a one-day GSGLA Board of Directors Retreat was held at the Marina Service Center. Chuck V. Loring, Senior Partner, Loring, Sternberg & Associates, Fort Lauderdale, and Senior Governance Associate for BoardSource, conducted an interactive presentation in a daylong session for Board members and Board Development Committee members on creating high performance boards, best governance practices and fundraising strategies.
JULY 2011 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- An abbreviated meeting was held at which the Board approved Chief Service Delivery Officer, Shannon Johnston, as an additional signatory on GSGLA's checking account.
MAY 2011 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- New board members Christine Jha, Gina McLeod, Michael Mulcahy, Leanne Rogers and Peggy Edwards were welcomed to the GSGLA Board of Directors.
- The IRS Form 990 was reviewed.
- Board Development Committee Chair Peggy Edwards reviewed the committee's responsibilities.
- The Mission Delivery senior staff presented progress in the membership, volunteer development and program areas.
MARCH 2011 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- The Board of Directors, Board Development Committee, and National Council Session Delegate and Alternate Delegate slates were approved.
- The GSGLA 2009-2010 Audited Financials were approved.
- The Board discussed ways in which the October 29, 2011 Girltopia event could reach its maximum potential.
JANUARY 2011 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- Director-at-Large Janis Penton was elected to serve on the Board of Directors Executive Committee.
- Director-at-Large Scott Wendelin was appointed to chair the Strategic Properties Task Force, which will meet for approximately 18 months.
- Rori Lindo-Britton, Fund Development Manager, Council Support, GSUSA led a discussion on the Culture of Philanthropy.
NOVEMBER 2010 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- Board Development Committee members attended this meeting.
- The Board approved spending up to $300K for preparation work on Camp Lakota.
- A Governance presentation and discussion was facilitated by Betty Richardson, GSUSA Governance Consultant.
SEPTEMBER 2010 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- The Board approved the GSGLA 2010-2011 Budget.
- Motions were passed elevating the Executive Compensation Task Group to a standing committee and appointing Linda Griffey as chair.
- Carol Dedrich, Chief External Relations Officer gave the Board a 100th Anniversary update.
- The Board adopted the Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles 2010-2015 Strategic Plan.
BOARD RETREAT 2010
On Saturday, July 17, a one-day GSGLA Board of Directors Retreat was held at the Long Beach Service Center. Laurel Richie, Sr. VP, Chief Marketing Officer, GSUSA opened the retreat with a presentation of GSUSA’s State of the State and a review of the Core Business Strategy.
The Board then spent several hours in GSGLA Strategic Planning discussions which resulted in a motion to adopt the plan which enhances the council’s capacity to grow girl membership to 50,000 girls by 2015, to monitor the plan throughout the course of the year, and to revisit the plan in 2012.
Taylor Halsey, Ambassador Girl Scout, spoke to the Board group. Board members who met fundraising goals were recognized and Laurel Richie presented GSUSA’s branding strategies. The retreat ended with a recap and a look to the future by Betsey Brewer, Board Chair.
JULY 2010 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- The Audit Committee will meet on Tuesday, July 20, to review the Form 990.
- All Board Members will receive a Board self-assessment via email Sunday, July 18.
MAY 2010 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- The board approved the audit for the year ending September 30, 2009.
- The Strategic Planning Committee introduced a Unique Value Proposition, which states the unique marketing niche held by an organization.
MARCH 2010 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- Linda Griffey will serve as the Board Executive Compensation Task Force Chair.
- The Board unanimously ratified the previous December 2008 receipt and review of the financial policies and approval of the July 2009 revisions.
- John Odetto, Audit committee Chair, reported that the committee met with Lewis Sharpstone of SingerLewak today, March 17, 2010, and received a clean opinion with only three minor exceptions which have been addressed.
- Carol Dedrich, Chief External Relations Officer, made a presentation on funding and branding.
JANUARY 2010 BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
- Lynn Danielson was elected to serve as Director-at-Large, subject to confirmation at the 2010 Annual Meeting.
- Carol Dedrich, Chief External Relations Officer, reported on the Camp Lakota fire.
- Susan Galeas, Vice President Central Region, presented a summary of the programs and outcomes work.